Friday 27 April 2018

Gwladys Myfanwy Ryder - WW1 WAAC

A lady called Marjorie contacted me recently about her Mother, who joined the WAAC in WW1.  Marjorie said:

“About my Mother:   she was born 25th November 1900 and baptised Gwladys Myfanwy Ryder.  My Grandparents had 7 children - 5 girls and 2 boys. Her Father's name was - Earnest Edward Ryder - Mother's name Martha Beatrice Ryder.

My Mother lost her father suddenly when she was fifteen and at that time he was in the Liverpool Police force.  My mother decided to go to London and she joined the army in WW1, pretending to be older than she was.  Her brother, Ernest Edward Ryder, born 1897 also joined the army WW1 and was wounded and died 15 months later

My Mother's Father was born in Hampshire - Aldershot Barracks - in 1867.   According to reports, the family at the time moved on to India, so there must have been an Army tradition in the family.

My Mother first married a James Crombie and had 4 children. According to reports he was not a very good husband and she divorced him

My Father, Arthur Patrick Ford, born 17th February 1900, also joined up in WWI at the age of 17 yrs he was sent to Turkey and was attached to a prison camp which he did not like

My Parents did not know each other until they met in 1929. They married and had five children - one of whom died at birth.

Both my parents became Air Raid Wardens in 2nd war 1939 and therefore, were both involved with both wars - the children were evacuated to Wales and we went to live with relatives

I am trying to find a photograph of my mother in her uniform WW1."