Sunday 20 April 2014

Suggested Reading List of WW1 Novels and Plays


Dr. Margaret D. Stetz, who is the Mae and Robert Carter Professor of Women’s Studies and Professor of Humanities at the University of Delaware, has been very supportive of my project.  Dr. Stetz has suggested a list of books that will help girls in particular to understand more about the First World War and she has given me permission to post this list.

I don’t know about you, but I feel if a book is well written it deserves to be read, regardless of the target audience.  I read with great pleasure several books about the Second World War when my sons were at school, so I look forward to reading some of these:

NOVELS

Theresa Breslin, Remembrance (2002)
Suzanne Weyn, Water Song (2006)
Jackie French, A Rose for the Anzac Boys (2008)
Valerie Wilding, Road to War: A First World War Girl's Diary, 1916-1917 (2008)
Marcus Sedgwick, The Foreshadowing (2005)
Beth Seidel Levine, When Christmas Comes Again: The World War I Diary of Simone Spencer (2002)
Margaret Rostkowski, After the Dancing Days (1986)
Kirby Larson, Hattie Big Sky (2006)
Jeanette Ingold, Pictures, 1918 (1998)
Kate Seredy, The Singing Tree (1940)
Penelope Farmer, Charlotte Sometimes (1969)
Laura Langston, Lesia's Dream (2003)
Elizabeth McDavid Jones, The Night Flyers (1999)
Cynthia Voigt, Tree by Leaf (1988)
Dennis Hamley, Ellen's People (2006)


PLAYS

Claire Jones, An English Heaven (1986) and Is There Honey Still? (1985)

With many thanks to Dr Stetz.