Saturday 3 May 2014

Lena Ashwell (1872 - 1957) - WW1 Entertainer and Entrepreneur

I am very grateful to Mrs Dorothy Clare, who is very supportive of my project.  Mrs Clare reminded me that I have not yet mentioned Kate Adie's book about women during the First World War - "Fighting on the Home Front" which is published by Hodder and Stoughton.   I have long been an admirer of Kate's work - both as a war correspondent and as a writer.

Mrs Clare sent me a cutting from "The Daily Telegraph" featuring a photograph of Lena Ashwell who is featured in Kate Adie's book.

Lena was a feminist who organised cultural entertainment for the troops by taking lectures, string quartets, operatic works and a wide variety of drama - including Shakespeare and Sheridan - to as close to the Front as possible in all manner of weathers.

Lena's story sounds fascinating.  I shall add her to the list and find out more.

From:  The Daily Telegraph Weekend - Saturday, April 12, 2014

Photo:  Lena Ashwell in the role of Edward V in a production of Shakespeare's "Richard III".  Google Images